Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mom!!! Why can't I wear my bonnet to school?

I came to a realization the other day while chatting with a co-worker. I rarely wear clothes. I wear costumes. We were talking about our right brain tendencies and how we had a flare for the creative. Carol (the aforementioned co-worker) is in her early sixties and has done everything from owning a farm, to managing a fabrics stores, to working in welfare and small town politics. I mentioned to her my love for the arts and she demanded that I start doing something in that field. I've taken some classes at a community college, but I often have to wonder if my place is in the classroom. I love education, I love reading and learning new things. But the minute I step onto campus, I immediately start having a panic attack and can't think logically.

During childhood, I was always made fun of. During an entire week of my fifth grade year, I refused to wear anything other than a poodle skirt to school. That same year, although I went to a big public school, I owned mostly school uniforms in navy blue. I wanted desperately to go to a boarding school, if only because of their dapper skirts, leggings, and polos. At one point, I made my mom sew pioneer dresses for me, and I let everyone know I'd be converting to the Amish faith upon my 18th birthday.

My imagination has never stopped growing. Just last year, I'd drive my PT Cruiser around this tiny Texas town pretending to be a flapper, and I spent most of my paychecks on vintage clothing. I take Shakespeare's words to heart. For me, all the world IS a stage. And every day I get to be a different character in my own play.

So maybe I should learn to sew. Maybe I should major in fashion. I don't know. If only there was a degree that wrapped pop culture, women's history, and the study of fashion and style throughout different time periods into one package for me. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog, I appreciate it!

    I hope you keep up your blog! Have fun!!

    Dressing up is always fun, I have to say my favorite eras to dress as are the 1920s-30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep being who you are and embrace your creativity. One day, people are gonna pay you for doing something you love and you will know that you are worth it.

    ReplyDelete